Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Early Morning Scare

I woke up to go to the bathroom around 2 am this morning and when I wiped there was bright red blood - like a period. I freaked out thinking the worst: miscarriage. We just got back from the doctor and the baby is fine. The doctor said the chance for miscarriage once a fetal heartbeat is established is less than 5%...I don't know why I always thought it was higher. He said it is likely just uterine tissue and that 50% of pregnant women experience bleeding during pregnancy. Thank God everything is okay. Did anyone else out there have a similar experience?

P.S. - The doctor did try to see if he could tell the sex, but the baby squirmed and closed his or her legs - little bugger!

6 comments:

Miracle Balsitis said...

I had the same thing with my daughter twice. Aside from that and very early braxton hicks contraction (starting at 5 months and continued till the end), my pregnancy was very normal and my daughter was healthy and is a thriving toddler now! It's really scary though. Really.

Rachel said...

I had bleeding with two of my kids. I started grieving both of them before finding out that all was well. Very traumatic!! Very relieved!! Both kids were born healthy!
I have unfortunately also had three m/c and with two of these, had no bleeding at all. (Not viable on ultrasound.) So bleeding in my case had no bearing on the outcome.
Soooo happy for you that baby is fine! I'm usually a lurker, and am looking forward to checking in on your blog through your little one's arrival. I think the scary first trimester is the worst and the longest. The last two seem to go faster and are much more enjoyable. Best wishes for a healthy, uneventful pregnancy and birth!

The Cook said...

I had spotting around the same time...with bright red blood. No problems. I don't think the private area is developed until 14-15 weeks.

Anonymous said...

When I was 10.3 weeks pregnant with my son Josh (who's almost 9! Ack!), I went to the bathroom one night, to have a HUGE GUSH of blood come out... Talk about panic!... Turned out there was a tear between the placenta and the uterine wall. It took a few weeks to heal properly, but it did and Josh was born healthy. :D

Unknown said...

How frightening for you. I am glad to hear everything is ok.

Holly Trawick said...

I had bleeding on and off during the entire pregnacy with my second child. Turned out that I had a Venous Lake - which is a large blood clot that had to be watched close. Very scary at the time, but everything turned out to be fine!