Sunday, May 3, 2009

Our Favorite Picture

Bella is just over one week old already! We left the hospital Monday afternoon. It has been a little tough because I ended up needing a c-section. They lost her heartbeat and things were not progressing in the fashion they want once your water breaks so a c-section it was. Thankfully, I did not have a grandiose birth plan in my head; while a c-section was not my ideal...the most important thing was for her to be healthy no matter how she came into the world. However, recovery is a little harder.

She is so beautiful and precious I could eat her up. I want to breastfeed, but I am supplementing right now. I thought my milk would come in right away, but that is not that case. I now have that transitional milk. Everyone says I will absolutely know when my milk comes in. The doctor said it can take a longer since she was a little early and also because of the c-section. Since she was so small everyone was freaking us out since she lost the typical weight and went under 5 pounds before we left the hospital. Our pediatrician reassured us she is fine. She was back to 5 pounds 3 ounces on Friday and she gets weighed again tomorrow. They want her to be back at her birth weight of 5 pounds 6 ounces. I can't imagine her not being there since she eats all the time! :)

She was not loving her first "bath" ~ although she did love getting her hair washed! What a girl!

So, we are just settling in, recouping, and enjoying her sweet face. Thanks for all of your well wishes!

8 comments:

The 5 McGills said...

What a beautiful picture of Bella. The first bath comment made me smile - my first was the same way. And breastfeeding after my C-section also took a couple of weeks to really get going, but once it did, I became the human pacifer. Enjoy this time settling in as a new family. My "baby" is 6-1/2 now and seems so grown-up already.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful picture! Congratulations on bringing her home.

The Heinrichs said...

Aww...she is so cute! I think she looks a lot like her momma!

Dawn said...

CONGRATULATIONS, Dawn & Joe! Bella is just precious. I knew you were do soon. I just posted yesterday on the group and found out she was here.

I am so HAPPY for you guys :0)

Dawn

Unknown said...

She is just the perfect combo of you and Joe. I can see both of you in her.

Brenda said...

Dawn and Joe, What a beautiful princess! Congratulations! She is a precious gift from above! Brenda

The 5 McGills said...

Dawn,

Happy Mother's Day! After following all your struggles these last couple of years I'm so happy to be able to send these wishes. You must be thrilled to be enjoying the day with Bella.

Laurel said...

She is beautiful! Congrats. Enjoy her.